Beard Dropping Midday News; Ch. 2 News on Early Roll

Anderson Cooper at Qualcomm Stadium during the...

Image via Wikipedia

Channel 2 morning anchor John Beard is joining his buddy Ed Kilgore in the world of the shorter work week.
General Manager Jim Toellner confirmed that part of Beard’s new deal enables him to give up the station’s midday news at 11 a.m., the only local newscast to air on a local affiliate at that time.

Beard will remain as the co-anchor of the NBC affiliate’s No. 1 rated “Daybreak” alongside Jodi Johnston.
Mary Friona will take over the midday news, the least popular and least important of Channel 2’s newscasts, Toellner confirmed.
Friona could take over as early as Monday.

A few weeks ago, Kilgore left the 11 p.m. newscast to work part-time and anchor the 6 p.m. news.
* It is a marathon and not a sprint, but the post-Oprah area looks like it is going to have some expected good consequences for Channel 2.
With “Dr. Oz” having much lower ratings than Oprah as Channel 4’s news lead-in at 4 p.m., Channel 2 News was able to win the 5 p.m. through 6:30 p.m. newscast competition on Monday and Tuesday.
The margin was higher at 6 p.m. Tuesday when Channel 2 (12.5) equaled the ratings of Channel 4 (7.8) and Channel 7 (4.7) combined.
It is too early for Channel 2 to pop champagne, but it is clear that the new post-Oprah afternoon block is hurting Channel 4, which moved CBS’ coverage of Monday’s men’s final of the U.S. Tennis Open to WNLO-TV during the afternoon to allow the syndicated shows to air as scheduled.
The first two installments of Anderson Cooper’s (see above) syndicated show on Channel 4 had ratings in the low 1’s at 3 p.m. opposite “Dr. Phil,” who had Casey Anthony’s parents on Tuesday.
And “Ellen” on Channel 2 decisively defeated Oprah’s replacement, “Dr. Oz,” at 4 p.m., leading into the news.
Channel 2’s news surge has been a big boon to the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, which averaged double-digit ratings on Monday and Tuesday and easily won locally.
* Wine expert Kevin LoVullo announced on Facebook that his radio show, “Spiel the Wine,” is moving to Channel 2 in November. Toellner confirmed that is the target date and added the station is looking to line up sponsors.
Channel 2 is beating WBBZ Owner Phil Arno to the punch on the wine show – he said a few weeks ago that he hoped to do one.

Enhanced by Zemanta

10 responses to "Beard Dropping Midday News; Ch. 2 News on Early Roll"

I never understood why Anderson Cooper gets so much exposure when his ratings are always in the tank.

2. And to think that WIVB had Ellen and Oprah for the first couple years of Ellen’s show. I wonder if they’re regretting letting that one go as much as channel 7 regrets letting Oprah go to 4… to paraphrase Santayana, those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

3. Dave says:

I was harsh on John Beard when he started back at Ch 2 Daybreak replacing Pete Gallivan. I have to say his professionalism, with a streak of goofiness, has grown on me. Now if they could only do something about Jodi Johnston’s news reading voice.

Dr. Oz never should have been the one to replace Oprah. Don’t get me wrong, I think he means wel,l but how many times can we tune in to hear about how fat we are and if we aren’t eating oatmeal and wheat grass we should all be ashamed… annoying.

Dave, I’m glad you posted that because I thought I was the only one who gets annoyed at Jodi Johnston and how she delivers the news. She talks to you like you’re 6 years old

• Tom says:

I’ve noticed the same about Jodi during the morning. I have to admit, John Beard has done a really good job in the morning even though I didn’t exactly like him at first.

However, it looks like Allie Hartwick is leaving WNLO since that station is running promos for the person that will replace her. That person will also replace her on Wingin’ It Buffalo Style. Maybe WGRZ could pick her up like they did with Lydia Dominick when she left WNLO as well. She would probably fit in really well with Daybreak Weekend, especially since those two shows do more lifestyle segments compared to the weekday shows.

Allie’s voice really gets on my nerves, it is way too high and squeaky and she doesn’t really come of as professional in any way. On the other hand I find Jodi very professional and always seems to have the right tone to match the story.

• Dave says:

@Rob … Jodi’s voice makes me crazy… I noticed it one day while working at the computer with the TV on in the background. Without seeing her, it really accentuated what I dislike about her delivery style. I made my wife watch it with her eyes closed, and she noticed it too. Now we both find Jodi almost unwatchable. And I agree, it does sound like she’s telling the news to her son, trying to soften bad news or perk up boring news, to keep a 7 year old entertained.

Speaking of her “son” when does she ever see him? Does she really need to be there at 5am and 5pm? Pick one and put Marissa Bailey on in the 5 pm newscast. It seems sort of greedy for her to have both and after all one would think that she would either want to see her son in the morning OR the evening. She must get home just in time to say “goodnight” and that is it. I admire Lisa Flynn for putting her family first.